So, you have been biking for a while now and want to take it to the next level. And that next level I am talking about is biking in other places or even other countries. Yes, this option can be done, and flying along with your bike is possible. There are many ways to pack your bike, but bike bags for flying are highly recommended and more comfortable.
Whether you are intentionally bringing your bike to a place or just tagging it along while attending a business meeting, the most important thing is to look for the best way to pack your bike and make it safe while on the plane. And one way to do it is through a bike bag, a worthy investment that can protect your bike while on the plane.
In this article, our team will show all bikers the importance of a bike bag when flying their bike to other places. We also include additional information related to the bike bag and its significance to you as a biker.
The Balance of Flying a Bike Bag
There are many ways to fly your bike in a plane while protecting it all the time. The cardboard box and flying case are two of the most popular methods together with the bike bag. There are also many upsides to using these three methods but using the bike bag comes with many benefits. But the most obvious is the weight of the bike bag, which is the lightest among the three bike containers.
With its low weight and other features, the bike bag will be more economical than the other two methods when flying a bike. The bike bag only weighs between 3 to 8 kilos which means it leaves enough space and weight to put your bike without spending additional charges. The most important thing is to stay within the airline’s baggage limit, or else you will be paying if the weight exceeds its limit.
Bike Bags Comes With Additional Features
Another upside when using a bike bag is the unique functionality and other additional features. Some bags are equipped with a metal structure found inside, which can mount the bike frame. This added functionality will protect the pork and the rear dropouts from any impacts when in the air. Also, the regular bike bags will require you to disassemble some of the bike parts, such as the handlebars, wheels, pedals, seat post, and many more.
To make it easy for you, there are bike bags with advanced locking features and wheels that can be used in moving around the airport or other places. This feature will be good for you in bringing comfort when transporting the bag. There are also premium models which provide the best protection and comfort to the user. I know a brand that only requires removing the bike wheels while protecting the bike at the maximum level.
Bike Bag Types: Hardshell versus Softshell
Two types of bike bags can be used when flying: hardshell and softshell. Hardshell cases provide the highest amount of protection because this type of case does not break down and is durable. However, the downside is it weighs more and might be one reason for exceeding the weight limit of the luggage. Meanwhile, softshell cases are lighter and can be easily folded or roll down for easy safekeeping.
The softshell is made from durable nylon regarding protection while using stiff padding when protecting the bike. There are also softshell bike bags that use an internal frame structure to protect the bike. Meanwhile, the hardshell bike bag uses the stiffness and hardness of its outer shell, which is made of durable plastic.
How to Pack the Bike Using a Bike Bag
The two types of bike bags offer different protection levels, which means you need to select your preference. Hard bike bags provide a higher level of protection than the softshell, but the soft cases are lighter in weight. Either way, it is up to you to choose which bike bag will fit your needs. However, when packing using these bags, here are some general things to do:
- Depending on the instruction of the bike bag, you might need to disassemble and take apart your bike. This step may include separating your pedals, handlebars, and your wheels.
- Also, depending on the rules of your airline company, you might need to deflate your bike tire but not all to leave some protection to the rims. You can also deflate the suspension if necessary.
- You might also need to remove the rear derailleur and attached it inside the chainstays. Using a zip tie or any other fastener can do the trick.
- You can also remove the bike chain and keep it under a rug for safekeeping. Doing this way can prevent the oil from messing with your bag and other places.
Additional Points to Remember
- If there is still some space after packing your bike, you can use it to keep other things to fill in the gaps. Whether it’s the shoes, clothes, or any other things, you can maximize and use the free space if the weight still does not exceed what is allowed.
- Even though bike bags offer the best protection, you can still level up by adding some extra padding to give more protection to your bike. I suggest using extra foams that are not used in your home or another soft padding that can protect the bike during impact.
- The brake rotors can also be detached for safety.
Bike bags for flying is an essential accessory that helps transport the bike during air travel. There are other types of containers used to transport the bike but the bike bag is my preference. I feel that the bike bag is the most efficient way of transporting the bike to different places. It has the right balance of protection, added features, functionality, and lightweight which are important factors to consider when doing air travel while transporting the bicycle.