A bike lock is one of the most important accessories to have if you are a bike owner. Sadly, there are a lot of them who tend to neglect the importance of it. Also, some owners tend to be frustrated in having to lock the bike all the time everywhere they go. They only remember the importance of locking the bike if they already lost the bike to thieves.
To all bike owners, consistently resetting the lock of your bike is important in increasing its protection from bike theft. But how to reset a bike lock? The process is easy and can be done in just a few minutes. So, if you are a biker who values the security of your bike, read this article from the beginning to the end and learn some valuable tips in securing your bike.
Why the Need to Reset a Bike Lock?
There are few reasons why the need to reset your bike lock from time to time. Please find below:
Changing the Preset Numbers
The first is if you have a new bike lock that you have just buy online or from your favorite bike shop. Usually, a new lock is preset in a certain set of numbers (usually 0-0-0-0) and the need to change it to your preferred combination is needed after buying it from the store. Mind you, those thieves know those preset numbers and if you fail to reset the lock, your bike can be stolen easily.
Changing a Forgotten Combination
The next reason for resetting a bike lock is when someone has unintentionally forgotten the combination of numbers he is using for the lock. If you have forgotten the secret numbers unintentionally, then the next best thing to do is to have a new set of numbers for your secret code. This can only be done by resetting and creating a new combination of numbers for your bike lock.
Everybody Knows your Secret Numbers
If you have intentionally shared your secret code with someone who borrows your bike, the need to change to a new combination is needed. This is to ensure that only you or the people that you tested only know the secret numbers of your lock.
The list above is the most common reason why it is a must for a biker to learn how to unlock a bell bike lock. I guess there are other reasons for it but the most important thing is to protect your bike and increase your bike’s security system.
How to Reset a Bell Bike Lock?
I have clearly emphasized the importance of having a secured lock in your bike in this article. And one way to do it is to learn how to reset a bell bike lock because this is an essential skill to have as a biker. Mind you, this is an easy thing to do and can be done by any bikers who want to learn it. Check the step-by-step process below:
- The first step is to open the lock using your original combination or using the preset combination provided by the manufacturer if your lock is new. After putting the numbers, pull the lock away from the housing to open it.
- Once it is open, you will see on the inside a dial that comes with the word “set”. This is where you will be changing the combination. You need to rotate it up to 180 degrees to place it under “set” mode.
- After turning the dials into a “set” mode, the next step is to turn each of the dials to your preferred combination of numbers. The key is to choose numbers that are easy to remember.
- After placing your preferred combination of numbers, you need to turn the dial counter-clockwise back to its original position. Your new combination of numbers should be ready to use now.
- Insert the lock cable again and check for yourself if the new combination that you have just set is working. You can have the option to scramble the number and secure your lock.
- You can write down your secret code to a piece of paper and keep it somewhere in a place that can be accessed easily in case you forget your new combination of numbers.
How to Reset a Kryptonite Bike Lock
- If you have a kryptonite bike lock with a combination of numbers, you can also reset it just in case you want to. Here’s how to do it:
- The first step is to familiarize your kryptonite lock and its type of model. Make sure to check on the numbers that will reset located on the front of the lock.
- Then you need to put the numbers or code to unlock the kryptonite lock. If it is new, use the preset number ( usually 0000 ) or the old number combination that you have used.
- The next step is to press the button found on the lock the unlock the cable from the body of the kryptonite lock.
Use a small stick such as a paper clip which will be inserted on the reset button found on the upper-side part of the lock. While doing it, you also need to push the cable head until such time that it cannot go anywhere.
- Change the new combination of numbers for your lock by using the arrows found on the side of the dial. After that, you need to push the cable button in while pulling the cable head out for a couple of inches. By now, your new combination of numbers or code is now installed to the lock and should be ready to be used.
Learning how to reset a bike lock is an important part of the security system of your bike. It is also an essential skill to acquire as a biker. The most important thing is to secure your bike properly to avoid thieves from stealing your precious bike anytime you left it unattended to a particular place or area.