Transporting your bike is very easy if you have the complete equipment to do it. I am specifically referring to the bike rack, which can be installed in your car to make the transport of the bike easy from one place to the other. However, if you do not have a bike rack, transporting your bike can be more complicated and a little bit challenging. But mind you, this can be done using your creativity and a lot of common sense.
But how to transport a bike without a rack? If you are not willing to invest or spend a rack, there are few methods to do it. Technically, it can be possible to transport a bike without a rack, but please note that it will be a massive gamble on your part. Transporting in an unconventional method will always bring disadvantages when it comes to the safety of the bike. Nonetheless, if you want to know how to do it, please read this article thoroughly.
Different ways to Transport a Bike Without a Rack
The methods we will present in transporting a bike without a rack are designed to help you. But, I am telling you that most of the ways are far from perfect but choosing the right fit for you. What I am saying is that it can be done and you can travel with your bike wherever the destination will be.
Method 1: By Using the Inside Part of your Vehicle
Yes, you can transfer your vehicle from one place to the other by using your car. In particular, putting your bike inside can be done especially if you have a car with a trunk. The downside of placing the bike inside the car is that it will eat up your vehicle’s space. And this will be a problem if you plan to bring companions with you who will also be on board your vehicle. Nevertheless, this can be done but with a lot of challenges. Please find some tips below to make the transfer easier using your car:
- You will need to make sure that the bike is cleaned before putting it inside your vehicle. Or else, expect your car seat or the other parts to be full of crude and other forms of dirt once you arrived at the destination. Please clean your bike by wiping crude on the frame or removing any type of dirt on the tires.
- The front wheel of your bike must be removed to decrease the amount of space that your bike will accumulate in your car. After removing, you can put the wheel safely on your trunk. You can also put the chain on the smallest ring to reduce the chance of greasing some parts of your vehicle.
- When putting the bike on the car, the none-driver side should be facing the seat to eliminate the chance of damaging the car seat. You can also put a piece of cloth below the fork dropouts to prevent it from damaging the surface.
Disassembling your bike can be a hassle, but this is essential to make it easy for the bike to fit in the car. Do not forget that there is always risk in doing this method, but I have seen many bikers doing it for their bicycle. However, this method is only applicable when transferring a single bike and not multiple bikes.
Method 2: By Using the Truck Bed of your Vehicle
If you are lucky enough to have a truck bed in your vehicle, then this is an excellent medium to transport your vehicle from one place to the other. Transporting the bike using the bed of a truck maybe look simple, but this method still requires some extra things that you need to do. Also, it can be a risk to damage your bike should you fail to secure the bike properly on the truck bed. So, to ensure that your bike does not move around, please check on some tips below:
- Used a bungee cord to connect the bicycle to the truck. It can help in giving the stability and protection of the bike from different bumps on the road. Another alternative is to use a soft strap in securing the bike if you do not have a bungee cord.
- Look for another strap that will be used to secure the end of the bike seat to ensure that it will not slide off once the vehicle starts running.
Method 3: By Using a Multi-Sports Trailer
It can be illogical if you have a multi-sports trailer but do not have a bike rack. But, if your situation is like that, then it is still possible for you to transport your bike by using a multi-sports trailer. The upside of using the trailer is its ability to carry additional equipment if you do multi-sports activities.
The trailer can carry everything you need apart from your bicycle, such as surfboards, kayaks, golf bags, badminton bats, and a whole lot more. Also, if you have several bikes to bring, this multi-sports trailer can quickly bring them for you with its excellent storage space. Another upside of this method is that the trailer comes with open space, and putting and securing your bike will be easy. Just make sure to secure all the equipment, including your bike once it is on the trailer.
Method 4: By Using the Plane
Yes, a bicycle can be transported by using the airplane as a mode of transportation. This situation is typical for bikers who want to experience biking in another country or a distant place that an airplane is the only practical way to transport the bike. Some bikers are going to other countries for work-related purposes and like to bring their bikes for extra recreational activities.
When transporting the bike on a plane, the bike will be included in your luggage. There are specially made bike bags that are designed to accommodate the bikes when transporting on the place. There are also other bike containers such as cardboard boxes and other hardshell containers.
Knowing how to transport a bike without a rack will help you realize that there are other ways to transport your bike apart from having a bike rack. But you must understand that the methods presented above come with their specific advantages and disadvantages. As I have said earlier, there can be a risk of damaging your bike, but you can safely transport your bike to its intended destination if you do it right.